Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"tweaking" things

Okay, So I can't rave enough about April's yummy recipes. They always look awesome. I've been meaning to try her No Carb Muffins but being that we don't use soy flour or wheat bran, I needed to find a replacement that would work. So here's what I came up with and it actually WORKED! YUM!

Pumpkin Spice Protein Muffins

Liquid Ingredients:

•1/2 cup liquid egg whites (or one egg beaten)
•1/2 cup water
•1 tsp vanilla

Dry Ingredients:

•3/4 to 1 cup Plain whey protein powder
•1/4 cup flaxmeal or ground flax seeds
•1/2 cup almond meal
•1/5 cup coconut flour
•1/4 cup organic pumpkin pie mix
•1 tsp baking powder
•2 tsp baking soda
•1 tsp cinnamon
•1 stevia packet

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick baking spray set aside.

2.Mix liquid ingredients together, then mix in dry ingredients.

3.Pour into muffin tins, bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.





NUTRITION- 12 Muffins

Calories 84.9 ,Total Fat 3.6 g ,Saturated Fat 0.4 g ,Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g, Dietary Fiber 2.4 g ,Sugars 0.3 g, Protein 9.0 g

Not bad, eh? Try 'em. Again, they go great with nut butter or greek yogurt!

Cheers,
LC

10 comments:

april said...

I love your variations!! They have awesome stats too!

MarkyV said...

deeeee lish! love the low carbo take on it!

you seen this.... http://skyr.com/ need to investigate more but it's thick! tastes fantastic and supposedly is from pastured milk.

Unknown said...

mark,

Love that yogurt! Its so delish. I didn't know it pastured milk, SWEET!

LC

Kelly said...

Cool...but you and James are so flipping active I think you NEED the carbs! haha! :)

Unknown said...

Kelly,

True true, and we definitely get those too.

Jamie (beautyandthebeef) said...

I think I may have to try your version! I wanted to try April's but since I'm eliminating wheat for now wasn't what to sub with, and I don't have too much patience for experimenting! Now I just need the ingredients...

Bre said...

Lindsay, what is the organic gluten free pumpkin pie mix you use? All the pumpkin pie mix i've been able to find all have wheat in them...bah! Or could i subsitute something else into the muffins for pumpkin?

Unknown said...

Bre,

You easily use just plain pumpkim puree. I accidently bought the mix versus the puree so I had to use. I just cut out the extra sugar. So use the pumpkin puree then maybe add in a little honey or more stevia for extra sweetness. Make sense? Hope all is well! Oh and Muscle Milk should ship to Canada. I'm sure they have it there. I'll look into it for ya!

Cheers,
LC

Bre said...

muffins are baking right now!
I used a pumpkin&squash puree (only GF product I could find & real pumpkins are nowhere to be found the lovely minus 12 degree Canadian winter!)
and subsituted whey protein powder (going to have to order that online too! all the products I found were processed with wheat/GF) so I used amaranth flour...
and then I used a tbsp of the organic agave nectar...instead of stevia (I forgot to buy that...)
SOO this could be an interesting twist on the muffins...haha :)

Unknown said...

Let me know how they turn out!! Email me at lyndzut@sbcglobal.net