Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bread n' Butter

Okay, so I finally made the "Cotter version" of April's low carb sweet bread. April's recipes always look so delicious, so I knew I had to attempt at this one. Her recipe used wheat bran and soy protein and my stomach doesn't really handle either of those. So instead I used almond meal, sun warrior protein powder, and flaxseed meal. How did it turn out you might wonder?? Scrumptious! And yes, it goes wonderfully with a schmear of butter, REAL BUTTER!
See below for my recipe.

Wheat/Soy Free Protein Bread:

Ingredients:

•1 cup almond meal
•1/3 to 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
•1 serving (35gr) Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein Powder
•1/2 cup pure pumpkin (for less moist use 1/3 cup)
•1/2 cup liquid egg whites
•1 egg
•1/2 cup hot water
•1 tbsp each baking powder and cinnamon
•2 tsp pure stevia extract

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
2.Combine all ingredients.
3.Pour into baking pan, bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.





Here's what the stats look like.

Nutritional Info
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 128
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Cholesterol: 23.7 mg
Sodium: 219.6 mg
Total Carbs: 10.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.9 g
Protein: 10g
Serves 8-9 slices

Cheers,

LC

4 comments:

april said...

I'm going to try out your recipe!! It sounds wonderful and has great stats!

Anonymous said...

That recipe looks great! If only there were a vegan subsitution for the egg whites...I'm not sure how a flax egg would work in terms of replacing those. I think they're more for whole eggs?

Thanks so much for your comment :)

~Jess~

Therese said...

I would love to try this! Where in the heck do you find almond meal?

anonymous said...

I made a version of this yesterday (equal parts soy flour-bad I know - flax meal, almond meal and vanilla whey protein) and %#(@%)! Dang if it didn't make some protein pumpkin bread!

I'm totally going to keep tweaking this. It's great. Thanks for sharing. Top with butter and cinnamon/erythritol.