Tuesday, September 9, 2008
EASY as 1-2-3...
Yes, I promise these are easy to make and take no more than 30 minutes to throw together. Being the Nutrition Specialist at CATZ, I get the chance to try out all my little recipe concoctions. Well this time, the Cotter Bars were next up for trial. So far I have two thumbs up from the Crew at CATZ, my picky middle brother, my niece, my dad, my sister in law, and hopefully James (as soon as take him some in CA this weekend). They are super healthy but don't taste like card board! A great pre or post workout snack.
Makes 9 bars or 12 small bars
Prep and cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
· 1/2 cups whole grain flake cereal
· 3/4 to 1 cup whole grain granola (Ex: whatever brand you prefer)
· 3/4 cup whole grain "O" shaped cereal 1/2 cup chomped dry roasted nuts
---(ex: walnuts, almonds, peanuts,or pecans)
· 1/2 cup dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots or figs
· 1/3 cup honey or 100% agave nectar
· 1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
· 1/4 c Almond butter and 1/4 cup cashew butter
· 2-3 tbsp ground flaxseed
OPTIONAL- tsp or 2 of vanilla extract.
In medium bowl, stir together cereals, nuts, flaxseed and dried fruit. Combine agave nectar, brown sugar and peanut butter in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Pour over cereal mixture and stir until well coated. With back of spoon, press in mixture 4 lightly oiled 8-inch square pans. Cool." Cut into 9 pieces. Store bars in fridge for freshness.
Warning, it does get a little messy. But fun to make if you are hungry and like to lick the spoons!