Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Fellow Fillo


Yesterday I had a nice hour break between clients and I just happend to be down near our local Central Market. Its very similar to whole foods. As I was browsing the produce, ethnic foods, etc. I thought "hmmmmmm......do I dare experiment with Taco Tuesday??? Should I spice it up a little bit??" I went for it! I found some great summer squash and corn fillo dough (Pegasus Food Inc.) and crossed my fingers hoping that this new recipe would be a hit!
Here's what I threw together.

Filling:

1 can corn (drained)- season with cumin
1 can organic black beans (drained)- season with salt and garlic and a little chili sauce
1/2 cup pico di gallo with hot salsa
1/4 cup diced pepper and onion
3/4 to 1 cup diced grilled chicken breast or other meat/fish.
1/2 cup diced yellow squash- steam before hand and season with cumin
Combine ingredients together in bowl and add a little olive. Then add a little Parmesan cheese (we use veggie Parmesan cheese). Mix it in so that when it bakes it will hold the other ingredients together.


After making the filling, set it in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until ready to use. Then prepare the thawed out fillo dough. You usually have to keep a damp paper towel on each sheet to keep them from drying out. I then used all natural butter or olive to coat the fillo sheets. Set around 2 sheets on top of each other. Fill the sheet in the middle with filling and then get creative and roll it up however you want. I made one roll like a cannoli and another similar to a pastry puff. Sprinkle part-skim mozzarella cheese on top of each and bake in over on 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes or until the fillo browned.
OPTIONAL- Used brown rice or Tasty Bite multigrain pilaf (90 sec cook) to go on top of the dough under the cheese before baking.
Serve it up with a side avocado and tomato salad and your set! The corn and the whole wheat Fillo dough have more than 2 grams of fiber per serving and are a great carbohydrate alternative for those looking to explore. You get a lot of dough that you can freeze and use whenever. My next recipe will be with banana, almond butter, whole wheat fillo dough, and honey. Top that with some Greek yogurt and cinnamon and you have a YUMMY desert!!!

Again, let me know if anyone tries this and if they like it. James did, thank goodness!!
LCotter

1 comment:

malita said...

You guys and your taco tuesday crack me up!!! Bring your left overs over here for my what the hell do I eat today wednesdays...