Friday, February 12, 2010

PB & J all the way!!

A lot of people ask what we put in our protein drinks and I'll have to admit, it varies daily. I make James and myself a protein drink every night in preparation for our early morning work outs. One of my favorite shakes is my PB & J protein shake.

1. one serving vanilla cream protein powder
2. crushed ice
3. 1 cup almond milk
4. 1/2 cup water
5. 1/2 tsp guar gum
6. 1 banana
7. 1 tbsp raspberry jam with a few fresh berries thrown in
8. 1/2 to 1 tbsp almond or tahini butter
9. Amazing Grass Cocoa mix (optional).
10. Cinnamon (optional).

Blend all to until TASTY!! I love this because it taste just like a PB&J but way more protein packed.




So what about all those smoothie places. Do you know whats in them??

WARNING TO ALL JAMBA JUICE DRINKERS:
Be sure to check the calories and sugar intake in what you are ordering. Below I have listed a good choice and a bad choice. You can visit the website to see all the nutrition details at www.jambajuice.com and look under nutrition-menu.

EXAMPLE:

1.Bad Choice- an Original Size Strawberry Wild smoothies has 400 calories, 94 grams of carbohydrates (about 6 servings of carbohydrates here) and 53 grams of Sugar.

2.Good Choice- 16 oz. Sunrise Strawberry has 240 calories, 49 grams of carbohydrates, 11 grams of protein, and 40 grams of sugar.

3.Best Choice- 16 oz. Berry Filling has 150 calories, 30 grams of carbohydrates, 23 grams of sugar, and 8 grams of protein. If you have a couple handfuls of nuts this is a great snack!

I vote for making your own. Its lots more fun!

Happy Weekend.

LC

11 comments:

april said...

Yum I'll have to try that recipe!! Can you taste the pb??

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious...

I wish I had a Jamba Juice near me.. but alas, I don't. Sad.

jameson said...

good one! are these pre or post workout shakes?

Unknown said...

Yes, you can taste the PB but its not overpowering. I use this shake either as a post workout snack or snack between meals and James uses it before swimming. I guess it depends on what your training is that day.

anonymous said...

Babe you really need to get some xanthan in that shake, the guar/xanthan will make you a very happy lady.

Adrien said...

How wonderful are you two?! Thanks for popping by my site-

Love your site- and what you do!

Brian Kirk said...

why the guar gum?

Unknown said...

Brian,

Guar gum is a natural thickener. Like allie said, xantham gum will help make it frothier as well. Need to get some!

Brian Kirk said...

@J&LC that makes sense...i just add more stuff (ie: bananas, sweet potatoes, dry cereal) to make my smoothies thicker. of course my way results in a high number of burned out blender motors too.

Anonymous said...

mm that smoothie looks delicious!!!

Unknown said...

burned out blenders are not fun. That just happened to me too! I now stick with bullet blender for shakes and food processor for foods. But I do miss my blender, haha!