Friday, February 12, 2010

PB & J all the way!!

A lot of people ask what we put in our protein drinks and I'll have to admit, it varies daily. I make James and myself a protein drink every night in preparation for our early morning work outs. One of my favorite shakes is my PB & J protein shake.

1. one serving vanilla cream protein powder
2. crushed ice
3. 1 cup almond milk
4. 1/2 cup water
5. 1/2 tsp guar gum
6. 1 banana
7. 1 tbsp raspberry jam with a few fresh berries thrown in
8. 1/2 to 1 tbsp almond or tahini butter
9. Amazing Grass Cocoa mix (optional).
10. Cinnamon (optional).

Blend all to until TASTY!! I love this because it taste just like a PB&J but way more protein packed.




So what about all those smoothie places. Do you know whats in them??

WARNING TO ALL JAMBA JUICE DRINKERS:
Be sure to check the calories and sugar intake in what you are ordering. Below I have listed a good choice and a bad choice. You can visit the website to see all the nutrition details at www.jambajuice.com and look under nutrition-menu.

EXAMPLE:

1.Bad Choice- an Original Size Strawberry Wild smoothies has 400 calories, 94 grams of carbohydrates (about 6 servings of carbohydrates here) and 53 grams of Sugar.

2.Good Choice- 16 oz. Sunrise Strawberry has 240 calories, 49 grams of carbohydrates, 11 grams of protein, and 40 grams of sugar.

3.Best Choice- 16 oz. Berry Filling has 150 calories, 30 grams of carbohydrates, 23 grams of sugar, and 8 grams of protein. If you have a couple handfuls of nuts this is a great snack!

I vote for making your own. Its lots more fun!

Happy Weekend.

LC

11 comments:

april said...

Yum I'll have to try that recipe!! Can you taste the pb??

abbynormally said...

Looks delicious...

I wish I had a Jamba Juice near me.. but alas, I don't. Sad.

jameson said...

good one! are these pre or post workout shakes?

James and Lindsay Cotter said...

Yes, you can taste the PB but its not overpowering. I use this shake either as a post workout snack or snack between meals and James uses it before swimming. I guess it depends on what your training is that day.

Allie (Protein Girl) said...

Babe you really need to get some xanthan in that shake, the guar/xanthan will make you a very happy lady.

Adrien said...

How wonderful are you two?! Thanks for popping by my site-

Love your site- and what you do!

Brian Kirk said...

why the guar gum?

James and Lindsay Cotter said...

Brian,

Guar gum is a natural thickener. Like allie said, xantham gum will help make it frothier as well. Need to get some!

Brian Kirk said...

@J&LC that makes sense...i just add more stuff (ie: bananas, sweet potatoes, dry cereal) to make my smoothies thicker. of course my way results in a high number of burned out blender motors too.

healthyontherun said...

mm that smoothie looks delicious!!!

James and Lindsay Cotter said...

burned out blenders are not fun. That just happened to me too! I now stick with bullet blender for shakes and food processor for foods. But I do miss my blender, haha!