Friday, February 26, 2010

Breakfast Bites

I don't know about you but the weekend always makes me want to enjoy a bigger or breakfast or brunch. Time for those weekend warriors to get out and train then enjoy a good breaky or brunch. You've got the eggs, the bacon, the pancakes, the omelets, etc. But how about a quicker fix with the same savory taste. These TEX MEX MINI FRITTATAS rock and they are a great brunch item, quick breakfast, or post workout snack. I like to make a bunch for James before a big weekend of training. Try 'em and let me know what other ingredients you'd add!

TEX MEX Mini Fritattas

Ingredients:

Olive Oil Spray
2 cups egg substitute ( I used 2 eggs and 1/2 cup egg whites)
1 cup finely shredded cheese (cheddar, mexican, etc). We use the almond cheddar cheese.
1/4 cup drained canned diced green chiles
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
chili pepper
chalula sauces
avocado slices

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly mist 8 cups of a nonstick standard muffin tin with the olive oil spray.

divide the egg substitute evenly among the muffin cups (1/4 c in each) Bake for 7-9 mins til almost set.
In a small mixing bowl, mix the cheese, tomatoes, & chiles. Sprinkle the mixture and a little chili pepper evenly over the tops of the frittatas. Bake for 8-10 mins longer or til the egg is no longer runny and the cheese is melted.
Transfer the muffin pan to a cooling rack and allow the frittatas to rest for 2 mins before serving. Add sliced avocado and chalula sauce on top before serving. Then DIG IN!!

Makes 4 (2 frittata) servings


Again, my camera died (I think I need a knew camera, right?!) but they turned out looking similar to these. Just add the avocado and chalula on top.

Happy Friday!

Cheers,
LC

4 comments:

april said...

Those are too cute! I love making baked frittattas but mine are usually way bigger than that! LOL

Jamie (beautyandthebeef) said...

Those look yummy! I used to make lots of frittata type stuff with different mixtures but haven't lately because I found out I'm allergic to eggs! I seem OK if I eat them once in awhile but haven't been eating them as much as I used to. I have to say avocado with eggs is so good, the last time I had eggs was with onion, peppers, avocado, and turkey bacon, YUM.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

these are so pretty!! I might have to attempt them!!

Unknown said...

Jamie,

You should try using sweet potato instead of egg. You can still mix in some cheese and avocado. I think coconut oil or butter would work along with baking soda, etc. I've made that before!