Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Training partners

First off I would like to say that I miss my wife very much. I know most men including myself love the thought of the woman leaving the house. The thought of being able to roam in my kingdom without anybody questioning me sounded terrific. Sadly, I miss her very much. She has gone to Hawaii..yes Hawaii, I should be furious she is there without me! Lindsay is working as assistant director for the Lavaman triathlon and will be gone for the entire month of March. We will be reunited for sure on April 3 when I arrive to compete in the race. Babe, I miss you. All you fellas reading thinking I'm soft, you know you wish you were saying the same thing to your woman :)

Training has been coming along at a good pace. Today in the pool I finally hit my 10x100m on my 1:20 send off holding 1:15s. I know it is not extremely quick, but enough to stay with most front packs. For the next two weeks I will use 1:20 as my base while I make my sets longer before coming down to 1:15 set offs the last 10 days. Also, I have managed to start swimming 3km for most sessions now! Pathetic yes, but swimming by yourself gets really boring after a while. Switched up some sets which made it more interesting. I also enjoy coming in with a game plan, and then switching it half way through. Keeps me on my toes!

My hard sessions take place on Tuesday's and Thursday's and I mostly do them on my own but this week has changed. I had a friend join me yesterday for trainer session of:
10 min w/u
5x 30/30 at VO2 man
3x5 minutes LT (straight to run)
45 min run with 3x3 minutes at 10km pace then 3x2 at 5km pace

It was a great session because once we hit the run it was 20:00 and pretty dark. I tell you, there is nothing more frightening then running in the dark and hearing but not seeing the dogs coming for you. There is a strip I call dog alley and you just have to be prepared to go, and go hard because you can't see if it is a German Shepard of a little jack russel. After the set we tried to go out for dinner and realized it was 21:45 and everything was closed.

Tomorrow I have a track session of 6x 1000m and I have another friend coming to join me as well! Really looking forward to tomorrows set because it will be a solid indicator of were my strength/speed is for my build to the up and coming season.

Also for the triathlon readers...I am trying to pull off the Faris Al Sultan beard and it is coming in very nicely. It is funny because the neck portion of the beard (a.k.a neck sweater) is coming in faster then the rest of the beard. Pictures to come soon.

Last thing, I received four new toys the other day that are so sweet.
1) Xterra 0.02 Speed suit. Fastest overall swimmer in Hawaii used this and has lowest drag co-effiectient then any other suit tested.
2) TP massage kit from the man himself, Cassidy. Cassidy is the man in charge of TP and is a hell of a good guy with a hell of a good product.
3&4) Hyper wear training and cooling vest. Cooling vest is still a prototype but is very sweet. Great from w/u before races and using while doing a trainer session.

peace out

No comments: