Saturday, October 25, 2008
Let the off season begin
Off Season Cooking can be a little tricky. You go from trying to get a good balance of dense carbohydrates, good fat, and protein mix to focusing more on lean protein, lots of veggies, and a lighter balance of carbohydrate and fats. This helps maintain muscle mass while also trying to keep the blood sugar level and not STARVING! I think the first 2 weeks of not doing anything gets you even more bored and hungry, at least thats what I've noticed that James does ALL THE TIME! I try to buy good healthy snack that are flavorful and that which he can have a lot of and still not consume a ton calories. Here are our off season staple below.
1. Non fat greek Yogurt- Fage brand has a good source of protein and for a whole cup its only 120 calories and 20 grams of protein!
2. Apples, more Apples, spinach, and Watermelon- very filling fiber and provide lots of water and nutrients!
3. Edmame (soy Beans)- cooked hot or cold these beans are a great high fiber and protein snack and 1 cup goes a long way!
4. Brown Rice crackers- sea salt and Pepper are delicious. You can have like 40 of these and still stay under 130 calories. Plus their whole grain and paired with hummus of low-fat cheese, their a great snack!
5. Thin Sliced organic turkey meat. Costco carry a great brand that is all natural and again a bunch can go a long way and for only 70 calories and 12 grams of protein.
The Meal above is just a idea of what off season meals look like for James.
5oz herbed chicken breast with cooked spinach
3/4 cup whole grain rice pilaf
large watercress salad with feta, watermelon, and edamame.