Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sounds good to me, right?

So I got the itch to bake tonight (not that I am in the kitchen enough, haha!) but this night I was feeling like I wanted to create and not follow a recipe on a box. I hate following recipes. I feel like I am being told what to do. As much as I like Betty Crocker, I just didn't want to listen to her, well not fully at least. So here I am looking in the pantry and here are a few things that caught my is eye.....Betty Crocker Gluten Free cake mix, Nutella, oats, shredded coconut, and ripe banana. Hmmmm....I bet i could mix this into a muffin and either they would be fabulous or disastrous. Results.......oh MY!!! So moist and just the right amount of flavor of each!






I really do not measure (My friend Kelly is trying to make me better at this) but here's what I did. Following the directions on Betty's Cake Mix box, I substituted half the mix for 1 cup oats (give or take) and about 1/2 of coconut. Then I used 2 eggs instead of 3 and added 1 tbsp of almond butter along with 3 tbsp soft butter (instead of the whole stick). The recipe also calls for 2/3 cup water but I used half water and half almond milk. To finish off the batter I mixed in just a tbsp or so of nutella. I didn't want them to be too too sweet and nutella can stretch a long way. mix it all up, spoon into 12-14 muffin cups and bake at 350F for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Test the center of the muffin with a knife to make sure the batter is fully cooked. The knife should come out nice and clean.

I think this is the perfect fuel for James' long run tomorrow. YEA!

Cheers in Good Health!
LC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay,
Where do you buy gluten free Betty Crocker?? It might just be available in the USA, but just wondering where you find it? I also replied about the homemade Museli and the gluten free oats...no luck so far up here in Canada. But I've been on the hunt for them too! We have some Bob's Redmill but not alot.

Unknown said...

They sell Gluten Free Betty Croker at the regular grocery store here. I wonder why they are not in Canada. Maybe I need to send you some!! hehe.

LC

Kelly said...

THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! Going to be making them for me and Keith SOON!