Tuesday, December 16, 2008
The Coconut Cure
Since going off gluten and dairy I've had to get more creative on where to find key nutrients. Well, coconut oil, light coconut milk, and coconut yogurt have been a win/win for me this area! What you may have not known about coconut is that its a actually a GOOD BAD fat. Yes that sounds like an oxymoron but its true. Its rich saturated fat is actually made up of Middle Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA's- also known as Lauric Acid). This fatty acid chain is highly metabolized and easy to digest because of its characteristics- sorry for getting into the biochemistry nerd voice but here goes!
- MCFAs are smaller chains. They permeate cell membranes easily, and do not require lipoproteins or special enzymes to be utilized effectively by your body.
- MCFAs are easily digested, thus putting less strain on your digestive system. This is especially important for those of you with digestive or metabolic concerns. LIKE ME!!!!
- MCFAs are sent directly to your liver, where they are immediately converted into energy rather than being stored as fat.
- MCFAs in coconut oil can actually help stimulate your body’s metabolism, leading to weight loss.
For more info on this wonder fruit visit. www.coconut-info.com Here's good recipe I whipped up the other day that is perfect for hot or cold weather!
PUMPKIN CURRY COCONUT SOUP
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree or chunks
- 1 can light coconut milk
- chopped bell pepper
- about 8-10oz of chicken broth
- 1 to 2 cups chopped chicken breast or shrimp
- sprinkle these seasons in for your liking.
*I don't remember how much I put in the soup.
* ground Ginger, curry, chili pepper, black pepper, salt.
Heat up liquid ingredients then add all the seasonings and meat/fish. Simmer until its just tastes good! We added tons of chili pepper because James likes everything super spicy of course. :)
In Good Health,