Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Good News for Pizza Lovers!
Barbecue Chicken & Onion Pizza
PREP AND COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES BAKE TIME: 15-20 MINUTES
Leftover chicken can be used to make this pizza in a flash.
Use a barbecue sauce flavored with hickory or mesquite smoke to bring out the biggest barbecue flavor without lighting up your grill.
· large onion, sliced
· plum tomatoes, sliced
· slices turkey or meatless bacon
· diced garlic cloves, pressed
· ½ cup smoky barbecue sauce
· 2 teaspoons Barbecue Seasoning Mix
· 2 cups diced cooked chicken
· 2 small or 1 large refrigerated pizza crust
(we usually use Spelt or Corn Meal crust)
· 1 cup (4oz.) reduced fat feta cheese (you can also use part skim mozzarella)
· 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
*** I also like to add spinach for extra veggies!
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut onion in half crosswise. slice onion and tomatoes. Dice turkey bacon.
2. Heat (12-in.) Skillet over medium heat until hot. Lightly spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion, bacon, and garlic pressed with Garlic Press. Cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until onion is tender and lightly browned.
Stir in barbecue sauce and seasoning mix; remove from heat. Stir in chicken; set aside.
3. Spread chicken mixture over dough to within 1/2 inch of edge. Arrange tomatoes evenly over top of pizza; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Cut into wedges.
Yield: 8 servings
This pizza is low is saturated fat and has a great source of protein. The reduced fat feta also has a good source of calcium and the spinach supplies lots of Vitamin K. Overall, its a great recovery meal after a long hard day!