Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dallas Double

Just arrived back in Austin after a very successful weekend in Dallas. The Fiancee (Lindsay) and I arrived Saturday afternoon for our engagement party at her parent's place. Now, when it comes to crowds I can get a little nervous, especially when the crowds are there to meet your beautiful fiancee and myself. There must have been a good 70 people at party peak! I did have a great time meeting all the friends and family of the Taylor family. I sure picked the right woman with the right family. Thank you Dallas and Veta for a great party. Anyone else who might be reading my blog from the party, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Sunday morning Lindsay and I woke up at 4:45 to head to the Texas Man Olympic distance triathlon. Neither one of us were very happy driving the 60 miles to race site. I was able to register the morning of the race so everything was very rushed. Want to give a shout to Justin Finck at Accelerade for getting me into the race free of charge! Also, if you have not tried Accelerade or Endurox now is the time. Bloody good stuff.

The swim start was a mess! Not enough buoys to guide you around the course even though we all managed to find out way back the finish. There we no lead kayaks for the swim making spotting crucial. I just kept thinking to myself, what if I had a heart attack out here? Nobody would have known! I jumped out of the water in the lead and very excited. Last week has a serious blow to my ego and confidence and I was here to erase the mental block. The bike was difficult for me as I just couldn't seem to push the big gears. The head cold I had was taking effect and I was not too happy. Every 5 minutes I was looking over my shoulder looking for pack ready destroy me. Arrived into the second transition with nobody in site which was a good thing because the run killed me. The course was out and back so as soon as I saw the second place leader running out while I was running back I knew I had the victory in the bag and throttled down big time :) No point killing yourself when you're not feeling great and the lead is big enough, right? Crossed the line and took the win and b-lined straight to the fiancee for some lovin'...(just a big kiss and hug).

It was from here on that became very interesting. My soon to be Father in-law, Dallas, came out to watch the race also. We were all tired from the day before and needed to leave because of the engagements we had planned for later in the day. I went in the transition to get my bike and received a huge slap on the wrist for wanting to take my bike out. I guess some RDs (race directors) don't like letting people get their bike until everyone is finished. Dallas and I decided to get sneaky from here on out. When the T2 director turned his head, I threw my bike over the railing for Dallas to casually walk away with and nobody knowing our plan. I stripped my number so it would look like it was Dallas's bike and he was heading back to car after following racers around the course. As I walk back towards the car I see Dallas surrounded by race staff :) I guess they didn't believe he rode around the course on a P3C with a disc wheel....hahahaha. After all out efforts we had to return the bike and wait to leave. 20 minutes later everyone else wanted to leave and couldn't. Eventually the crowds became too big and they had to let everyone go. We did make peace with everyone after our incident :)

Texas man is a tough and challenging course. Though there needs a bit more fine tuning. So this concludes the Dallas double. Thanks for reading.

Trip recap

1) My fiancee is beautiful in an orange dress. ummmm.
2) The Taylor's know a lot of people
3) Victory is very nice and it is in defeat you learn to perfect your execution

1 comment:

TC said...

Cogratulations on a great comeback race and a wonderful fiance.