Monday, March 9, 2009

Ouch!

The trip to NZL turned out to be a holiday. I currently feel as I wasted 3 months of my life and let down my wife and sponsors.

I came in feeling great. Swim was so easy and I was pumped to see Terenzo and Cameron on my left and right the entire swim. Once my feet touched the ground I went into a mad dash up the beach to get ahead of everyone to have an advantage. When i reached to pull my wetsuit cord it would not budge. I started to panic some and kept running with the pack. Pulling and pulling the entire way up nothing. I arrived into T1 and figured the suit strippers would get the suit off. NOPE. 2 minutes to get the suit off. The boys were gone and I was pissed. I chased hard and kept them at bay at 2:10 the first 90km. Then my legs came lose and I slowly begain slowing down.

Once on the run i felt solid and ran my way back into the top 10 and then the bike caught up to me and I cracked. Tough lesson to learn for a trip so far away.

The town of Taupo was amazing. The course was so spectator friendly and support was on every yard of the course. I will be back next year.

I will take this Ironman training as a solid base for 09 and look to have the break through race I so desperately want.

9 comments:

rr said...

You didn't let anyone down - you went out and did your best. That swim was incredible! Damn zipper.

ADC said...

I am so with Rachel on this. You did not let down anyone - these things happen and there is not much we can do about it. You trained, you went there and you did your best. Now time to relax for a bit.

Anonymous said...

James James James!!! I was tracking you on IM.com, and as soon as I saw your T1 time, I knew something major had happened! FABULOUS swim - esp after your earlier incident! You gave it all you could! The season is young . . and so are you! Take advantage of both. (spoken with the wisdom of an AARP member;-)

Julie Slim said...

Nancy said it all James. I looked at your times as well, and knew that something was majorly wrong at T1. Your swim was amazing!! You did the best that you could with your circumstances, and as Nancy said, you are young and the season is also young!! This is definitely not the end, but a good beginning...

Missa Taylor said...

We were tracking your progress on ironman.com and let me tell you James; you may not have done as well as you wanted but, what an inspiration you are!
We talk about you all the time to the youth! You are our example of discipline and drive-Only look forward James.

BreeWee said...

You are still, STILL, still amazing.. that race in you is yet to come...

it's on the way buddy...hang tuff... keep your chin up...that race is there and in the exact moment it will happen when it should!!!

STILL one of your biggest fans!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

Being a role model in the sport is more important than being out in front (to sponsors) in my opinion, and you have excelled in that. You clearly have the potential to win big, but don't worry about it if it doesn't always work out that way. Of course, it would have been more fun for you and us if you had stayed right up there, but there is always the next time. Focus on the next race.

Anonymous said...

Had you never toed the line you would have failed. The puzzle of IM is one strange puzzle.....and one that requires experience. I promise, your perfect race and execution awaits.........be patient. In our hearts, Tad and Jennifer NOttage

Randy said...

Hey, our Masters group here in Kona was all pulling for you James. Great effort. See you at Lavaman.